Nigel Hollis, Chief Global Analyst at Millward Brown began the session speaking about The Meaningful Brand and how quickly our brains react to information due to instinct.
In fact, he said, it only takes 1/20 of a second to decide the appeal of a web page.
He went on to discuss the 3 basic types of mental associations which create a meaningful brand.
And then, the stellar panel discussed a bit about how they've been able to create meaningful brands:
- Brenda Armstead, VP Global Strategic Insights at Johnson & Johnson -- Neutrogena
- Ellen Zaleski, Director of Consumer Planning at Diageo -- Johnnie Walker
- Mike Quinta, Director Strategic Insights Global Brands -- Lay's
The key themes were:
- Foundation - understanding who and what the brand stands for
- Communication - stay focused
- Shelf space (if applicable) - keep it and expand it
- Key stakeholders - keep them aligned
April Bell is Principal and Founder of April Bell Research Group, a boutique, full-service marketing research firm, committed to delivering fresh insights you can act on! Learn more at aprilbellresearch.com.